9/23/2014

NYC Climate March

The NYC Climate March drew hundreds of thousands yesterday, making it the biggest single protest on the topic in history. UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, former vice president Al Gore and actor Leonardo DiCaprio were among the participantsMe and my colleagues were there to report on behalf of our school, and here you can read an interview with three very different protesters.


Family; We talked to the girl on the right


Who are you, and what are you doing here today?
My parents made me come. I like it here, but I’d really like to be at home, because my legs are really tired.

What do you think about the climate change?
I don’t think it’s very good. There are a lot of things happening that shouldn’t be happening, and they wouldn’t be happening if there was no climate change. The polar ice caps are melting. The winter is colder, and the summers are warmer. Like last year, the summer weren’t as warm as this year.

Do you have any solutions or ideas?
If people stop polluting. People are wasting stuff all the time. They waste water. Some people brush their teeth with the water on, and when they’re filling up their glass, they put the water really high and let it run. So if they stopped doing that, it would help.

That’s a good idea! How old are you?
I’m 10 years old.



Who are you, and what are you doing here today?
I’m here all by myself. I’m a mother, and I see people being killed in Palestine everyday by Israelis. I’m crying, I’m just crying. It’s painful that 4 billion dollars of your American tax money goes to kill people.



Who are you, and what are you doing here today?
Participating!

Where do you come from?
Maryland. I was going to say Madagascar, but that would have been a lie.

That would be pretty cool though!
All right, I changed my mind; Madagascar.

What message do you want send, and TO whom do you want to send it?
Boy, that’s… It’s passed time to pay attention.

Do you think this march will have a real impact on the climate situation?
Yes, I do. Otherwise I wouldn’t be here.

What are you doing in your everyday life to make a change?
Trying not to make the situation worse. Trying to be conscious of what I do and how I do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment